MENU

JUDY

10 Reduced inequalities11 Sustainable cities and communities
  • Original Title: JUDY
  • Year: 2020
  • Award: World Summit Award
  • Category: Government & Citizen Engagement
  • Country: Ghana
  • URL: https://www.judy.legal/

Each year, more than 75,000 case judgments are delivered by African courts, however, only 20% of these judgments are digitized or published. This means the remaining 80% are forever stuck in filing cabinets and in some instances, lost forever. Digitizing the cases is only half the battle though, because even the digitized cases exist in raw, unstructured formats, making it difficult for researchers both to navigate and derive insights from past cases.

 

JUDY obtained, digitized, and uploaded 16,000 cases from the Supreme and Appeal Courts of Ghana and Nigeria to our database. After digitization, the cases required additional formatting and grammatical corrections. Therefore, JUDY built an internal Editorial Dashboard where our team of lawyers edit, format and annotate principles established in a case. This enables to present cases to users in a properly formatted, navigable structure.