“Machli” AI based Mobile application for Marine Fisher Folk
- Original Title: “Machli” AI based Mobile application for Marine Fisher Folk
- Year: 2021
- Award: World Summit Award
- Category: Smart Settlements & Urbanization
- Producer: S Senthilkumaran, Raghuram Lanka, Balakumar S
- Organisation: Reliance Foundation
- Country: India
- URL: https://www.machli.reliancefoundation.org/
“Machli” is an Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning based mobile application that is providing automated audio-based, personalised life-saving information to marine fishermen in nine Indian languages and English. These advisories provide information on weather, wave height, wind direction, wind speed to make decisions on venturing into sea or not; and information on livelihood improvement (“fish aggregation”) for better catch thereby better income.
These advisories are from authorised sources like Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, Government Departments, etc., are available to fishermen 24 x 7 in a very easy-to-use Android application. App has more than 10,520 installs, with MAU > 5000, monthly retention rate > 45% and engagement > 1 min for the last 12 months.